Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ft. Smallwood Excursion

I really wanted to take the kids to the ocean, let them walk in the surf, and realize how grand this world really is. The ocean has always awed me. I like the sound and the feel of being there, and I wanted my kids to experience it too. It's not going to happen, it's a three hour drive and we just don't have it in us right now. So, our replacement activity, was to go to Ft. Smallwood park, it's a county park, and there's a beach, it's on the bay instead of the ocean, but it's a step in the right direction! First, we encountered a park that looked like fun. This part caught my eye and we all thought it looked like a mini Wipeout course :) The kids had fun... Then I had to try it :) I didn't fall! Yippee Skippee! Then we found the beach. Alot of it is rock, but there was part that was sand...and shells...and rocks...and...glass...even so, we took off our shoes to walk in the surf :) Sand between toes, waves buffeting your feet, it's a great feeling. We were extra careful when we found this jellyfish. We have no idea if it was dead or just caught in the tide, either way, we steered clear. I had no idea you would encounter jellyfish in the Chesapeake Bay, I'm gonna have to look that up and see what that's all about. Who woulda thought? I know it looks like a pile of snot, but really, it's a jellyfish - and they can hurt, dead or alive so giving this gelatinous glob some space is a good idea! Oh, and there's no swimming in this part of the bay, but we weren't planning on it anyway! And as proof that Paul was with us, here's a picture of him with the kids on the pier :) It was in the 90's, so this was our last stop, it was time to get in the car and head back to grandma and grandpa's house! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment