Thursday, May 13, 2010

We Can't Make it Go Away, So We'll Make it Fun

That's the outlook today on Alta's diagnosis. I am not physically capable of taking this affliction away from my daughter. If I could, I would. I also know that if God wanted her healed, He would. Our prayers would have been answered that way. I don't blame Him for this at all. It's something that will teach us, something that will help us grow, maybe bring us closer together, increase our patience and understanding of those around us. There are numerous GOOD things that can come from this. It's not a death sentence, merely an inconvenience. For that, I am grateful. That doesn't mean there won't be some suckiness that comes along though. So, we're going to do our best to balance the two. First, for safety, a medical ID bracelet. For those times we're not around. But cute, not sterile, severe looking. Something that's fun to wear, but useful at the same time. I'm working with a friend on it. For peace of mind: looking into little dogs, whose sole purpose is to attach itself to my girl, and bark its head off if she has a seizure. He will be her assistance dog, and will hopefully help the rest of us sleep better. I don't expect he'll bark if she's just turning over, but if she does something weird or alarming, then maybe he'll bark. Although the baby monitor is helpful, the times it wakes me up unnecessarily are too ginormous to count. I really would like to feel comfortable sleeping again. Heck, so would Emma. For Fun: Emma has decided to retire Concussion Girl, but Alta has chosen to keep Seizure Girl going strong. That' what she wants to be for Halloween :) So, I've got to come up with a costume design or something for her. We're also thinking about making a comic book for her this summer. She can come up with Seizure Girl adventures and we'll write them out, add some illustrations, that sort of thing. We've talked about giving a quick presentation to her new class in the fall, of what epilepsy is and isn't, and what they can expect, and what they can do. I don't want her whole class wigged out if she does have a seizure. I'm selfish, I want the teacher's attention focused on my girl. The better prepared her class mates are as far as what to expect, the better. We may use the comic we make over the summer for this. So, that's the game plan so far. I can't make it go away, but I can make it fun may be my motto for a while.

6 comments:

  1. I am constantly amazed by how strong things like this make us. Tell Alta I think she is awesome! It would be so easy to give in to the fear. I'm glad you are making it "fun".

    Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't get the diagnosis you were looking for. I am praying for you guys. Nothing you can't handle! You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your idea in making a comic book and sharing it with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! We appreciate all the prayers for our family. I'm relieved to have an answer. It's easier to fight an enemy with a name, than an anonymous one. At least now I know what to expect.
    She starts her medication today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear the diagnosis was not the one you wanted!! I am glad you have an idea of what's to come and things to do to help with the situation. I love and miss everyone!!!!! Wish I could be there for moral support. Though I am not there physically, know that I am always thinking and praying for you and your family. I think the dog idea is a good one. Love everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks sis! We love you too :)

    ReplyDelete