Friday, February 12, 2010

Carter's Valentine Mailbox - Lightning McQueen

A few years back I made the three older kids each a mailbox to use for the Valentine party at school. Carter wasn't in school yet, so I didn't worry about it. The kids informed me last week that it was time he had one as well, so I spent some time at the beginning of the week working on his. He's always loved cars, and when the Disney movie Cars came out he was in heaven. That was quite a few years back and he still loves the movie and characters. It wasn't a surprise when he requested a Lightning McQueen mailbox. It was a lot of fun to do, and it actually turned out better than I thought it would. I love it when that happens. It's not perfect, and I spent way too much time on it. It's for a kindergartner, I hope it lasts longer than it took to make it! This is the back (I always forget the pics load backwards or something and I'm in too much of a hurry to redo them. Sorry.) You can see the wheels, the bolt, and his number from this angle too. All of the elements that went into making this were flat when I started. Mod podge is a wonderful thing for projects like this. I created the shape with chipboard, then covered with paper, and embellished away. Obviously, this is the front. I was pretty happy with the way his eyeballs turned out :) Love that white paint pen! I colored the lightning and the bolt with my prismas, the numbers got a little more color treatment with a red marker so they stood out a little more. I used my wishblade to design and cut out his features and decorations.
Carter with his new mailbox. He gets to use it today.
My little goofball. Gotta love'em.
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. so cute!!! turned out great. love carter's expressions. cool shirt too!

    ReplyDelete