Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Update on: What's Drowning Out the Voices?

Took my little guy to get his eyes checked today. The verdict: he needs glasses - and an eye patch.
One of his eyes is a little lazy, so he'll be training it by playing pirate. The doc said there were two lines my guy couldn't even see. Who knows what my little man's been missing?

He also needs glasses for reading, the eye muscles are weak and working really hard to focus. I have the same problem. When my eyes get too tired, the words blurr together: my eyes cross. His special reading class is at the end of the day. When we're working with him: end of the day. His eyes are shot, and he's working overtime to focus the words. No wonder he's having a hard time.

AND

The cub needs glasses for distance. I asked the dr to explain the numbers. He said at 25 cents, 50c, or even 75c, you can get away without wearing the glasses for distance. He's sitting at 1.75 and 1.25. So, all the work they've done on the board. All the times the teacher has flashed a sight word in front of the kids, my boy may not have even known what he was looking at.

I'm not sure how to feel. Part of me wants to jump up and down because we may have found a stumbling block, and now we're going to blast it out of the way. Another part of me, the mean part, is yelling, telling me I should have done this sooner. Telling me I've made my kid struggle when he didn't need to. Either way, in the next couple weeks, my boy should be able to see better, distance and reading. Then watch out. He's gonna soar.

No comments:

Post a Comment